If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (281) 412-6211

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Don't Overload Your Room's Electrical Outlets

1/29/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Don't Overload Your Room's Electrical Outlets Don't use too many multi-plug devices.

Most electrical outlets are designed to handle a specific amperage. It’s best not to try to push them to their capacity by using too many multi-plug devices. If you ever notice any scorched marks or burning odors around an electrical outlet, stop using that outlet and inform someone of the problem right away.

Overloaded circuit warning signs:

  • Flickering, blinking, or dimming lights
  • Frequently tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses
  • Warm or discolored wall plates
  • Cracking, sizzling, or buzzing from receptacles
  • Burning order coming from receptacles or wall switches
  • Mild shock or tingle from appliances, receptacles, or switches

How to prevent electrical overloads:

  • Never use extension cords or multi-outlet converters for appliances
  • All major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Only plug one heat-producing appliance into a receptacle outlet at a time
  • A heavy reliance on extension cords is an indication that you have too few outlets to address your needs. Have a qualified electrician inspect your home and add new outlets
  • Power strips only add additional outlets; they do not change the amount of power being received from the outlet

Have Questions? Call Us Today –

(713) 472-4162

Other News

View Recent Posts