Tips For Preventing Water Damage in Your Apartment Community
Take these measures today to prevent water damage tomorrow.
- Check On Aging Appliances Regularly – Washer hoses should be replaced about every five years.
- Repair Old or Damaged Roofs When It’s Dry – Make routine checkups to monitor the condition of the roof(s) at your property.
- Stay in Touch with Your Residents and Know When they’re Traveling – If a water leak occurs while they’re away and no one is checking in, a small problem could potentially turn into something much worse.
- Clear Downspouts Consistently – If you know a storm is about to hit, make sure everything is clear and that water is being effectively carried away from the building.
- Apply Dry-Proofing Methods – One cost-effective way to prevent large-scale water damage in low-lying areas is to apply waterproofing coatings and sealings.
- Check For HVAC System Blockages – If the line that moves condensation from the HVAC system is backed up, it can create serious water damage. Backed up water can seep through ceilings and through light fixtures or in between walls. When water leaks between walls, it can go undetected and result in mold damage in addition to water damage.