How To Survive A Flood
After the onset of Hurricane Harvey, many homes both in flood zones and out were trapped underneath the gulf waters. Those in Dickinson who believed to be safe soon found themselves in danger. So what should you do if you get put into that situation?
I Am Trapped By Water! What Now?
- Do Not Panic. This is the most common bit of advice. Keeping a cool head will allow you to develop the best plan of action.
- Do Not try to drive through the water. Trust us on this one, even if you have a heavy duty truck it only takes two feet of water to wash it away.
- Do Not call 911 if your life is NOT in immediate danger. But DO advise a family member of your current situation.
- Be prepared to get on the roof or up high. If there is no opening, make one. Only do this if the water is just beginning to come into your home.
- Unplug all electronics and put them up high. If you end up having to swim through the water you will avoid a 'shocking' situation.
- Move your furniture to someplace higher, if you can. If the water is only coming in a little put blocks underneath the feet of the furniture to give it a little lift.
- Write all information you need to remember on your arm in case the power goes out or you lose the documents. Ex: Emergency numbers and Social Security (if you don't know it).
- Be patient. The flood waters will go down, there is not much else you can do until it does.
To monitor the flood gauges near you, we recommend looking at this map.
For advice on your chances of flooding, see here.
Congratulations! You made it through the worst of the flooding and a catastrophic once-in-a-lifetime disaster. What comes next? Thankfully this part is easy. Call SERVPRO of Friendswood/Pearland. We have access to hundreds of storm teams and refined mitigation techniques to help return your home to normal. Not only are we certified to mitigate the water, unlike other mitigation teams (including other SERVPRO franchises) we can rebuild. You have been through enough, let us take care of you.
Suffered A Flood? Call Us at 281-412-6211.