Happy Independence Day From SERVPRO!
Happy 4th of July! We know summer is filled with backyard barbecues, parades, and fireworks displays, but did you know that more fires are reported on the 4th of July than any other day of the year?
Each year, fireworks cause on average 1,300 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires and nearly 17,000 other fires, including grass fires, explosions, and even people have been engulfed in flames during a seemingly innocent childhood tradition.
Before preparing your personal fireworks display, check which fireworks are legal in your area and that there is no burn-ban in affect.
Below is a list of fireworks that may be legal for purchase in your area:
- Bottle Rockets
- Firecrackers (Fireworks designed to explode on the ground.)
- Roman Candles
Fireworks Safety Tips
SERVPRO is on call 24/7 for emergency fire damages, but of course, we would rather you avoid the fire hazard all together for your safety and those around you! Check out what the pro’s have to say about using fireworks safely:
- NEVER use fireworks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Do not allow young children to handle fireworks. Have an adult supervise them closely and light the fireworks for them.
- NEVER light fireworks indoors, not even sparklers! People often do not realize that common sparklers burn around 2,000 degrees - hot enough to melt some metals.
- Do not try to re-light or handle fireworks that did not ignite properly. It may seem like a “dud”, but the malfunction could cause an explosion you are not prepared for.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that have malfunctioned or have been used before discarding them in a trashcan.
- When lighting a firework, do not place your head or body over the projectile.
Suffer a Fire Damage?
SERVPRO offers 24 hours service for any emergency. Give a member of our friendly office staff a call and schedule a time for an initial inspection. In the mean time, check out our online guide on what you should do until help arrives!
For more information on SERVPRO Fire Damage Repair and Restoration services, click here.
Have a happy and safe 4th of July from SERVPRO of Friendswood/Pearland!
To speak with a job coordinator about making an appointment, call the office at 281-412-6211.
Or visit our website: www.SERVPROfriendswoodpearland.com
Get ALARMED About Fire Safety
Something as simple as checking your smoke detector's batteries can help save you or the life of a loved one in the case of a fire.
You probably know what the smoke alarm in your home looks like. You should also (hopefully) know where it’s located. The big question you should ask yourself is, “Does it work?”. The Residential Fire Safety Institute shows that over 92% of dwellings in the US have smoke alarms. Which sounds like a great statistic, right? But it’s also estimate that one third of those smoke alarms do not work.
Smoke Alarm Maintenance
Smoke alarms are fairly low maintenance, however, they cannot simply be installed and forgotten. Here are some tips to keep your smoke alarm functioning properly:
- Replace smoke alarms every decade. After 10 years, smoke alarms have a 30% failure rate.
- Vacuum alarms once every 6 months to once a year. An alarm clogged with dust and debris can affect the alarms’ ability to function properly.
- Install both ionization and photoelectric alarms. The ionization detectors activate quicker for flare ups or flaming fires, while photoelectric detectors work better for slow, smoldering fires.
- Test your fire alarms once every 3 months.
Where Should Smoke Alarms Be Located?
Most homes have at least one smoke detector located in a common area of the dwelling, while business have many alarms spread throughout the building. Companies cover all areas of the business, especially when a surplus of electricity or a kitchen is used.
While most businesses have all aspects covered, does your home have the same protection? While the kitchen would normally be seen as the most common area a fire would spark, fires can start in many ways and if you don’t have multiple detectors throughout your home, you risk not being notified of the fire in time for a quick, safe escape.
To ensure you’ll be alarmed no matter where you or the fire are in the home, check out this list of areas you should consider placing a smoke alarm:
- Outside each bedroom area. This could be a hallway, or game room that contains the entrances to the bedrooms.
- In each bedroom. This ensures the occupant will be alerted if a fire were to start inside the room or outside of an entrance, such as a window or door.
- If your home is multi-level, place an alarm on each level of your home, including any basement or attic areas.
- Near the kitchen and utility room. These rooms commonly hold the most appliances and contain the greatest risk for a fire hazard. Try not to keep the smoke alarm too close to the kitchen to avoid the alarm going off each time you cook.
If your home or business has suffered from fire or smoke damage, click here to check out fire/smoke restoration services. Call a member of our helpful office staff at (281) 412-6211 for more information on our services or to schedule a consultation.
Is Your Business "Ready for Whatever Happens"?
Download the app! Your company's important information and contacts is at your finger tips at all times!
According to the latest research, as many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster. Of the businesses that survive, many of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy for peace of mind.
Are You Ready?
The best time to create a disaster plan is NOT while the disaster is happening, but rather well before it happens. Preparedness is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The big question for every business owner is “Are you ready for whatever happens?”
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
The SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile® is a start-up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By teaming up with SERVPRO® for your Emergency Ready Profile, your business can receive the benefit of over 45 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster.
You can get started building your SERVPRO® AEmergency Ready Profile® today! Below is a list of what SERVPRO® has to offer your business:
- A No Cost Assessment for Your Facility
- There is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value and peace of mind at no cost.
- A Concise Profile Document
- This contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- Only takes a little time to complete and will save you an immense amount of time if ever needed.
- This will minimize the amount of time your business is unable to operate by having a plan already in place.
- Establishes SERVPRO® as Your Personal Mitigation and Restoration Provider
- You have a company of professionals that are recognized in the industry at your side from the moment the disaster occurs to the minute your building is restored to “Like it never happened”.
- Identification of the Chain of Command
- This ensures your company leaders are the ones responsible for authorizing work to begin and the appropriate members of the staff are notified with the status of your restoration project.
- Provides Facility Details
- Lists shut-off valve/breaker locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
- Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it, and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens”.
Call SERVPRO® of Friendswood/Pearland at (281) 412-6211 today get your SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile® started, or visit SERVPRO.com/ready.
High Quality Service for High Rise Building
The professionals at SERVPRO® of Friendswood/Pearland are no strangers to working among the clouds. We have serviced many of the high rise buildings in Downtown Houston and the Galleria area. What a lot of people don’t realize is that when a water damage occurs, the water does not stop when it hits the wall. The water will continue to travel down the wall, affecting lower levels the longer the water sits. The damage will even continue to affect lower levels as it is being cleaned, which means the building must be repaired from top to bottom as bottom to top will not resolve any damages.
For a skyscraper with a busted pipe on the highest floor, that could be as many as 40 floors to dry, clean, and repair! That is definitely a job above your regular janitors pay grade.
Our most recent high rise was a 22-story building that became saturated by a busted pipe near the roof. Luckily for them SERVPRO® of Friendswood/Pearland took on the task! After 2 days of cleaning and 3 days of drying, making a total of 5 days on the job - it was completed and restored to “Like it never happened”!
Do you have a multi-story building affected by water damage that you would like to leave in the hands of trained professionals?
Give SERVPRO® of Friendswood/Pearland a call at 281-412-6211 and speak to a member of our helpful office staff!
For more information on our commercial building services, visit our website: SERVPROoffriendswoodpearland.com
Suffer a NASTY Water Damage?
Handling contaminated material can be hazardous. Our trained technicians have all the right protective gear to handle contaminated items safely.
Category 3 Water
As if having water damage to your home isn't bad enough, what happens when the damage involves category 3 water?
Category 3 water, or black water, is water that is contaminated and possibly contains toxins, bacteria, or other harmful agents. This would include water from a sewer system, flood waters, or water that has sat longer for 3 days without proper cleaning and drying.
Faster to Your Disaster
When dealing with category 3 water, it is recommended to have the water and area cleaned and restored as quickly as possible. Every porous surface serves as a food source and breeding ground for pathogens and fungus, making it very easy for the contaminants to spread quickly throughout your home.
SERVPRO of Friendswood/Pearland offers 24/7 service from our trained professionals in the case you have damage to your home that can't wait!
What Should You Do Until Help Arrives?
Most homeowners are anxious to get the process of restoration started and often volunteer any work they can do to help the technicians. However, when dealing with black water, we suggest you not do ANYTHING.
While moving out soiled materials or placing fans in the wet areas seem like helpful gestures, you could actually be spreading pathogens and bacteria to other parts of the home that may not have been affected otherwise. It is safest to determine if you are able to remain living in the home and only grab personal belongings that you would like to take with you or move to a safe location. Our technicians arrive fully prepared to move furniture and perform any demolition necessary.
For more information on black water clean ups, click here.
If you have suffered a water damage, including a class 3 water damage such as a sewer back up, toilet overflow, or flooding, call your local SERVPRO® of Friendswood/Pearland to speak with a friendly member of our office staff: 281-412-6211. Or visit our website: www.SERVPROfriendswoodpearland.com
The Spark of Electrical Fires
The type of fire extinguisher you use matters! Always be aware of the kind fire extinguishers you have available and where they are located.
Fires in the home can come in many forms. One of the most dangerous fires is an electrical fire. Electrical fires are especially dangerous because not only is a fire ignited, the electricity has the potential to shock an unsuspecting victim.
Causes of Electrical Fires
Electrical fires often catch homeowners off guard when they are doing something they do everyday, like using a household appliance or plugging something into a socket or power strip. Below is a list of the common causes for electrical fires:
- Faulty outlets and appliances
- Light fixtures, lamps, and light bulbs
- Extension cords
- Space heaters
- Faulty wiring
December and January are the months with the most electrical fires due to an increased amount of heating appliances and lights. However, electrical fires can spark without the overhaul of Christmas lights. Overburdening your electrical outlets with any appliances can quickly spark an electrical fire.
How to Prevent an Electrical Fire
Here are some helpful tips to keep from falling victim to an electrical fire:
- Discard all cords and plugs that are worn or frayed
- Never break off the 3rd prong on a plug to plug it in to a 2-prong socket.
- Keep electrical cords away from water and heat sources.
- Avoid running electrical cords under rugs.
- When unplugging an item, hold the plug securely and remove the plug from the outlet.
- Only use extension cords temporarily
Properly Putting Out an Electrical Fire
Because electricity is involved, you cannot put out an electrical fire the same way you would a typical fire.
- Call 911 and GET OUT
- Call your local fire department or dial 911.
- Safely exit the building.
- Keep a safe distance from the building until fire fighters arrive.
- Disconnect the Electricity
- If an appliance is on fire, simply unplug the appliance by grabbing the plug and disconnecting from the wall.
- If the fire is in the wall or in an appliance you can’t unplug, safely get to the switch or electrical panel to shut off the electricity.
If the power is ON:
- Smother a small fire with baking soda.
- Use only a class C or ABC fire extinguisher. Remember to use the fire extinguisher properly.
- NEVER use water on an electrical fire that is still energized.
If the power is OFF:
- Use a fire extinguisher. If the power is off, it doesn’t matter which kind of fire extinguisher.
- Use a fire blanket or other thick blanket to smother the fire.
- Douse the fire with water. This is only safe and effective if the power source is OFF.
If your home or business has suffered an electrical fire, call SERVPRO of Friendswood/Pearland to speak to an expert about cleaning your home and saving your personal belongings!
Ask us about odor removal and how to care for other belongings affected by fires.
For more information on the SERVPRO's fire restoration process, click here.
A True Texas Shrine - The Buc-ee's Bathroom!
Aside from ranking Cleanest Restroom in the Nation, another survey in 2018 showed over all rest stop cleanliness rose 6%!
THE Texas Pit Stop
If you're from Texas, you know a road trip only means one thing - a visit with Texas' favorite beaver. Buc-ee's is a household name in the lone star state. What sets it a part from your normal travel station? Other than it's endless aisles of candy, world class beef jerky, irresistable fudge, and walls of Texas themed mechandise, Buc-ee's has the cleanest restrooms in the nation.
A Texas (Porcelain) Throne
Buc-ee's Bathrooms were ranked Cleanest in the Nation two years in the row, and is in the running for a third. How high are they setting the bar? There is a whole staff dedicated to cleaning the bathrooms, every hour on the hour 24/7. The staffs southern hospitality continues with the thoroughness of their toilet cleanings. Each toilet is scrubbed down and sanitized each cleaning. Other employees serve as restroom attendants, directing customers to available facilities and toiletries. While this is not the most desirable job, Buc-ee's ensures their wages are "Cleanest Restrooms in the Nation" worthy.
Not only does Buc-ee's take pride in their cleanliness, they provide an excellent overall restroom experience. Each Buc-ee's contains hallways of private stalls, opening into the handwashing area near the entrance. In each stall they offer towelettes for the seat and toilet handle, lid covers, and hand sanitizer pumps. Thus only improving the chance of cleaniness to grow.
If you're traveling across the Lone Star State this summer, check your route and visit a Buc-ee's! Take the Texas Beaver Challenge and visit all 34 Buc-ees locations across the state! Check out the list of all locations.
SERVPRO® of Friendswood/Pearland wants to remind you to have safe summer road trips!
Does Your Business Need a FRESH Start for the Summer?
When it comes to getting the workspace spotless while staying in business count on SERVPRO to get the job done right while working with YOUR schedule!
Miss out on Spring Cleaning this year? SERVPRO® of Friendswood/Pearland offers Commercial Cleaning Services for those who have more important tasks at hand than your everyday grime and foot traffic of the workspace.
We service all business types:
- Retail Facilities
- Education Facilities
- Property Management
- Healthcare Facilities
- Hospitality Facilities
- Food Service Facilities
- Office Facilities
When the dirt, grime, and odor challenges your regular cleaning staff, call on SERVPRO®! Our trained technicians can take care of anything from removing dirt and dust in your air ducts to freshening heavy-trafficked carpet areas and other weathered upholsteries.
Whether it’s removing an odor or deep cleaning floors, SERVPRO® offers an array of cleaning services to keep your business in tip-top shape for any customer who visits! We even offer services to rid your building of any unfortunate vandalism.
For more details about our Commercial Cleaning Services, see the list below:
We have the specialized training and products to get your business back to pristine conditions. Best of all, SERVPRO® operates discretely as we understand that seeing a restoration vehicle in the front of your place of business may cause customers to raise an eyebrow. With our highly trained technicians available 24/7, SERVPRO makes it a personal standard to work with your schedule so that you can operate business as usual.
For more information on our Commercial Cleaning Services, check out the information page on our website:https://www.SERVPROfriendswoodpearland.com/commercial-restoration-cleaning
Or call and chat with a member of our friendly office staff for a quote on cleaning your building: 281-412-6211.
Commercial Water Damage
This Property Manager was thrilled that we arrived so fast and did a great job!
This building experienced a toilet overflow on the 17th floor. SERVPRO of Friendswood/Pearland arrived within the hour. We always begin by walking the job with the Engineer and Property Manager to discuss a plan of action.
There’s never a convenient time for flooding or water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
Water Damage or Flooding? Call Us Today (281) 412-6211
Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Friendswood/Pearland for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Friendswood/Pearland specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 281-412-6211